Saturday, April 4, 2009

Run-Down-Catch-Up

OK, a lot of catching up to do, training blog-wise. Luckily, my training has been (somewhat) inversely proportional to my blogging, so I can feel simultaneously like a slacker and an overachiever. I've been making the Monday/Wednesday lunchtime circuit-training class at the gym, and feeling a bit "wrooooooooaaaaaaaaarr" what with all the lunging and squats and pushups and stuff. And nothing like running sprint laps of the gym at 8,000 ft to make you feel like a tough little soldier.

Weekend before last was an awesome 8-miler at Pleasant Valley Reservoir, at around an 8:15 pace; no outdoor running last week because of my sad trip to Florida for the funeral, but managed a 5-mile (humid) treadmill run on Sunday at the hotel, and about 4 miles on Tuesday at the gym back home. I made it to the Friday "Yogafit" class this week which I have to say is awesome, but hard, involving lots of (of course) squats, pushups to crocodile to upward dog to downward dog and some other manoevers that I, a relative stranger to yoga and supreme inflexibility to boot, finds quite tricky.

And this morning me and Mr. Babylegs and the Real Babylegs went xc skiing up Rock Creek Road, about 6 miles round trip up to Rock Creek Lake and back. For some reason I thought it would be freezing cold, so was totally overdressed and sweaty at the beginning, but adjusted my layers to the correct level and was relatively comfy. I hadn't skiied this this route since last winter, and recalled it being a bit of a slog, but this time felt kind of easy, perhaps due to lunge-induced fitness (or else the two giant bowls of oatmeal for breakfast).

Onwards to tomorrow and hopefully a nice long run either at PV or Casa Diablo...so glad it's Spring!

No comments: