Saturday, May 16, 2009

Yeasty

Have been in quite a whirl of breadmaking since my new bread machine arrived a week or two ago. The biggest challenge is adjusting recipes to the high altitude conditions here in the eastern sierra, but I've successfully made a loaf of white bread, a loaf of cinnamon raisin (same recipe, but with cinnamon and raisin folded in - nyum) and today a freakin enormous loaf of wholewheat bread. I think next time I will divide into two smaller loaves as (ahem) the recipe suggested, which may help with the evenness of the cooking.

I also attempted to make a multigrain loaf last week entirely in the bread machine, based on a recipe in the usually reliable Pie in the Sky but it didn't rise well (maybe not enough water) so was more of a multigrain brick....but we ate it anyway :)

Fueled by all this yeasty goodness, I ran 10 miles at Casa Diablo last Sunday, with no walk breaks as before, and the extended trail loop in Mammoth (5 miles), and managed to make one express and one yoga class at the gym. Today I'm waiting for it to cool down a little, then perhaps a wee jaunt up the pole road to round out the miles this week to 20.

In other news, while enjoying my regular dose of Jogblog, I recklessly said I would participate in Juneathon (exercise every day, and blog about it, for 30 days in June. There is a winner, determined by some hazily defined criteria, but mostly I just want to see if I can get out there every day and do something.

No comments: